THE DIARY OF A GEEK IN OXFORDSHIRE


Solving the World's problems with common sense and a flamethrower.

Friday, August 22, 2008

In Pursuit of Efficiency

I realise that I'm merely an IT techie, unskilled in the ways of corporate and Government efficiency.

However, it doesn't require the intellect of Stephen Hawking to work out that what I discovered today makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I had the misfortune to need to speak with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Service, as it appeared that for the 4th time they've lost my tax return (for the '04-'05 tax year, which is Yet Another Rant).

I'll skip the retelling of a saga that is reaching Wagnerian proportions, and skip to the upshot - I need to send in another one.

Now. My Tax Office is in Aylesbury, in Buckinghamshire. I'm in Oxford - a distance of just 27 miles. However, I can't send my Tax Return to Aylesbury.

Mail for the Aylesbury Office needs to be sent to - Edinburgh.

Where it's processed and sent internally to Aylesbury. Via the call-centre in East Kilbride.


View Larger Map

Now call me Mister Fussypants, but I cannot for the LIFE of me fathom any way in which a journey for my Tax Return of 782 miles can be more efficient or practical than 27.

Is there anyone out there who can explain it to me?

No comments: